Sunday 3 February 2013

It's not about me.

I don't think we ever grow out of needing to preach the gospel to ourselves, over and over and over.

When life feels a little complicated or stressful or otherwise just... life-y, and I struggle to know how to respond, whether I'm doing okay, what I need to be doing different, whether I want to do anything differently... when I have those phases of confusion and struggle, however long they last, it's so easy to let feelings dictate what I think to be my status before God and the status of my relationship with him.

Today, I was reminded again that it's not about me. I don't think I'll ever stop needing to hear this. It's not about me. It's not about how well I'm doing at praying, how clear I am on ethical positions, with how much integrity I'm living that out. It's not about whether I feel I know all the answers at the moment, whether I feel I'm being a good witness for Christ, whether I've invited my friends to mission week events. It's. Not. About. Me.

It's about who Jesus is, God-become-man, loving us so much that he came into our mess and confusion and struggle. It's about God's choice to suffer with us (amazing essay to be writing this week). It's about God's unconditional love, proved through the death of his Son, that means I'm totally accepted, no ifs, no buts, no as-long-as-you-get-it-rights. It's all about him.

These words encouraged me today:
"There is a hope that lifts my weary head,
A consolation strong against despair,
That when the world has plunged me in its deepest pit,
I find the Saviour there.
Through present sufferings, future's fear,
He whispers courage in my ear.
For I am safe in everlasting arms,
And they will lead me home."
 (Stuart Townend & Mark Edwards)

No comments:

Post a Comment